Sunday, March 12, 2006

Deer Park

Today I snowshoed up to Deer Park along the snow covered Deer Park Road. Starting at the closed Olympic National Park (ONP) gate, I hopped over the gate and trudged to within a half mile of the ranger station in Deer Park.

It was a beautiful day for a snowshoe through this part of ONP. All together I had three deer bolt in front of me, stepped over, around, or ducked under 21 downed trees, and even took a few pictures as I gained 3100 vertical feet on this marathon 15 mile roundtrip trek.

On this solo trek I didn't see another human the entire time; I had this portion of the park completely to myself. It was an arduous, exhausting route with one lasting physical side effect - I lost 4 pounds.

Shown below are some of my favorite pictures taken during the trek.

Note: Click picture for LARGER view.

View of Ridge From Trail1 Posted by Picasa


View of Ridge From Trail2 Posted by Picasa


Deer Park Trail Snowshoe Tracks (Mine) Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment